Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Pomegranate and pomelo

It's Moon Festival time!  Which means that it's also Pomegranate and Pomelo time!  Pomelos are generally eaten during the moon festival. Someone once told me that this was because they are round and shaped like the moon, but I haven't been able to back this up.  I don't care though, because they are awesome!  They are like dry sweet grapefruits.  They are harder to eat because you have to peel them all the way down to the flesh and can't eat (not poisonous, just tough and hard to eat) any of the membranes surrounding the fleshy part of the fruit, but it is worth it.  If you like grapefruits, which I do, then you would love Pomelos!


Pomegranates are a new love for me.  I remember DH brought some home when we lived in Baku, but I was unimpressed.  Last year I was helping out an acquaintance for the gishwhes (scavenger hunt) with a clue that involved a pomegranate and computer city.  Well I performed the picture needed for the clue, and was left with a pomegranate.  I'm not one to let food go to waste so I cut it up and ate it, and fell in love.  I ate as many pomegranates as I could last year, and this year I waited around until I started to see them in the fruit stands again, and have been buying and de-seeding them like an addict.  I will de-seed one or two at a time and store them in jars in the fridge.  I don't know how long the seeds last, because I generally have devoured them in a day.




No comments: