Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Bread and Sandwiches

I finally got myself together to make sourdough bread using the starter that a friend of mine gave me.  Apparently this starter is from New Mexico around the time of the civil war.  I have been interested in trying sourdough for about a year now, but have never had the nerve to try it.  BUT  with someone else's starter I was ready to give it a go.
I didn't just start with a plain old sourdough though, I am always trying to add more grains to our diet so I started out with Bernard Clayton's Oatmeal Sourdough bread.  It's pretty good.  It made a really pretty loaf, and the inside was pretty soft.  The recipe made one big loaf and four mini loaves.


From Blogger Pictures
From Blogger Pictures

Using this bread I made feta and tomato sandwiches which are awesome!  I spread feta onto the bread, then added sliced tomatoes, basil, and olives.  Then pan fried them like a grilled cheese sandwich.  Superb!