Monday, August 01, 2011

The North Market

Unlike Beijing, Chengdu does not have a ton of little markets everywhere for anything you might need (if they do I have not found them yet).  Mostly, if you need to buy something you have to go to a department store (something like Walmart) where the selection tends to be very limited or you have to trek up to the North Market (also known as the Lotus Market).  They have everything at the North Market!  You name it, I'm pretty sure I've seen it (although I don't think I've seen pets... maybe they're there and I just haven't found that section yet).  I finally made it up to the yarn section, which is MASSIVE (I know, most of you don't care, but being a knitter I was in yarn heaven!) but what is weird, is that they don't have a lot of different fibers for sale, it is mostly wool or some type of hair, but not a lot of cotton or bamboo or anything.
Anyway, I finally went to the market with my camera and took a few pictures.  They don't give you any idea of the scale of the place.  I forgot to take pictures all the way through so these pictures are just from a few sections of accessories.
This is a view down one of the shopping corridors.
From Blogger Pictures


Here is a shot of guys on a scooter, notice though, that we are INSIDE!



From Blogger Pictures


A view of the guys on the scooter as they drive away, IN BETWEEN the store front displays! Note, they were not the only people on scooters inside!



From Blogger Pictures


These guys are selling guns, but I have also seen tattoos for sale displayed this same way.


From Blogger Pictures

Get your hot fresh guns!


From Blogger Pictures



I'm curious if they do the ink on the street, or if they take you to a back room somewhere
From Blogger Pictures



You see this everywhere in China, melon on a stick, you can also get pineapple, and corn.  I haven't done it, because if you get up really close, it looks a little gross (my tolerance for nasty is not what it used to be)
From Blogger Pictures

1 comment:

Becky said...

Fun pics. Chengdu sounds interesting. My husband really wants to be posted there someday.