Friday, October 14, 2011

Sudden Showers

An interesting thing about the tropics are the sudden rain storms that will blow in from seemingly nowhere.  On our last evening in Kuching (which means cat in Malay) as we set out for dinner we noticed sinister clouds in the sky.  We hurried out to dinner carrying our umbrellas with us thinking that even if it rained we would be covered.  Little did we know that rain in Malaysia does not mean light drizzle or even the type of heavy rain you get in the US.  No, Malaysian rain storms give a new meaning to the term torrential downpour.  As we were sitting in a food court that specialized in seafood the skies opened up and it rained in a steady sheet for at least an hour.  At some point we realized that it was not really going to stop so when it lightened up to a heavy rain we made a break for it. 
But more on the food court...  The Top Spot, which is what the food court was called, specialized in sea food.  Now, as I've gotten older I've gotten a lot more picky about what I put in my mouth.  I've become one of those travelers that I used to scorn.  I will eat at McDonalds if I have to, rather than eat at some local hole in the wall.  The problem with local hole in the walls, is that you never know if eating there is going to be a great experience or if you are going to sit on the toilet for the next three days wishing you were dead.  But I digress.  At first blush the Top Spot did not look like some place that I wanted to eat in.  Plastic tables and chairs, sea food out on display, and dim lighting which made it look dingy.  But as we got closer I noticed the smell-or rather lack of a smell.  Despite all the sea food everywhere I did not smell old sea food at all.  In fact, there was a curious lack of smell.  And despite the dinginess of the place it was very very clean.  So we sat down to eat, and we ate, and we ate, and we ate some more.  And it was good.  It all tasted very fresh and flavorful.

1 comment:

Samantha said...

Glad this place was a plus and not a minus!! Hope you are having fun! Can't wait to catch up!

xo, sam