Monday, February 27, 2012

tips for pack out and moving part 2-- the purge

All right, so I've figured out what I want to go into my airfreight, now what about the rest of this crap?  Now it's time to purge.  This step is not really necessary, but it helps to keep your weight down and believe it or not it helps when you unpack.  I usually start my purge a couple of months out so that I can take my time and I don't get frustrated with how long it takes and quit half way through.
I don't know about you, but for some reason my stuff breeds in the dark.  I might start off with a few sheets of paper or a couple of books here and there, but by the time we leave in two years I've got stacks and stacks of paper, shelves of books, clothes, craft items, and other assorted--well crap that has limited use.  So every two years or so with a pack out date looming on the calendar like an ominous cloud I begin a purge.
I usually start with the least used room, no reason, except that in that room I can make as much of a mess as I want and it doesn't disturb anyone's life.   Then I open all the drawers, go into all the closets, look at all the bookshelves to see what we haven't used in the last two years that I can get rid of.  In this way, I slowly move through the house from room to room getting rid of things. 
I know this step sounds simple, but it is time consuming and will help you when it comes time to actually organize your things for pack out.

4 comments:

Nomads By Nature said...

Great advice! Simple, and yet critical. For purging, we look at what can be donated to schools and local programs doing good and get them moved out. Sometimes we know that what we have will be more greatly needed where we are headed. Those items get sorted and boxed/ set to one side. Change of season items and children's supplies usually can fall into this area. Sometimes I know that we will be shopping while in the States for home leave to get what we need at the next post and I can fill suitcases up with donation items that will help those in the US better (work clothes, purses, etc). My suitcase is pre-packed with these items and then emptied out to Good Will or Salvation Army or a shelter when arriving States Side. Anything you need or want to sell for money, start advertising early. It feels so good to loose a lot of the clutter before the packout and it definitely makes arrival at a new post easier too! And if you need to quit halfway through, as long as you are under the weight limit, you can always finish purging on arrival. Somethings I was sure I needed were easier to part with after doing without them for 6 months and then admitting I didn't have a place or a need/desire for them after all. Wishing you a smooth end of posting and packout!

Unknown said...

Even better advice! I completely left out the part about what to do with everything that you want to get rid of! And I have to say, it never occurred to me to take it back to the US to donate! It would probably work out better that way anyway, I have not seen a single person here with any "junk in their trunk" ;)

Nomads By Nature said...

:D Too true! Also, for us when you have dress shirts, business attire and materials require dry cleaning... there are so many in the States that can use the clothes to go to interviews and get started in a career. I know there are women's shelters that look for business clothes especially for that reason - to help get someone back on their own feet. Kids clothes are greatly needed there too.

Samantha said...

I usually make things much worse before better when I purge or organize! Maybe starting with the least used room would be a better approach! :)