Wednesday, September 04, 2013

Walking in Wuhan - Flower and Bird Market

The weather here has cooled down slightly.  You know it has been hot when you think a 90 (33 for you Celsius users) degree day is cooler.  I was therefore determined, to get out of the house and go see something.  I have been hearing about a big flower and pet market in Hankou, supposedly not too far from Wuhan Tiandi, so I decided to find this place and go there.  I had a hard time finding anything about it in English on the web, though.  The best I came up with, was that it was about 200 meters away from the Wuhan Changjiang No. 2 bridge.  Adding that to the knowledge that it was near Tiandi, I decided to give it a try.  
 Using my trusty Google Maps app (more on this Friday) I plotted a course to the nearest bus stop to the No. 2 bridge.  Once I got off the bus though, I realized where I had gone wrong in planning.  I just figured I could ask around once I got near enough and go from there.  Unfortunately, the area was pretty deserted.  And the few people I did see were not likely to speak enough clear Mandarin for me to be able to understand.  So I used my Chevrolegs to see what I could find.  Surprisingly, I did find it after 30 minutes or so of walking (it turns out, that despite the fact that it felt cooler 90 degrees is still actually pretty hot), and it turns out that I got off the bus right there, but walked right past it.

 I also brought the big camera, but forgot to put the memory card in it, so I had to take the pictures with my phone, again.  But I guess I should be grateful that I didn't wander about all that way only to have no camera and nothing to show for the walking.... I guess.

 I was expecting something much bigger, this was more of a medium sized market than a BIG market, but interesting none-the-less.  It immediately brought to mind the phrase used to describe the Muppet Show-- it was filled with dogs, and frogs, and pigs and chickens.  (actually I didn't see any frogs, but I did not look closely at the aquariums).





If you are looking for this place it is on YanJiang Ave, 200 meters North of the Changjiang No. 2 bridge.  And the sign for the place looks like this:
The characters aren't super clear so here they are again:  花鸟市场 
 
 And the entrance looks like a parking lot entrance (which it technically is):
























1 comment:

Celine said...

Hehe, love the pig :))
Do you wanna write a little post about that on the WOW homepage?