Friday, March 23, 2012

Anniversary

Today is our 10 year wedding anniversary.  10 Years!  Can you believe it?  No, neither can I. 
I have done a lot of thinking recently, wondering if I knew then what I know now if I would still go through with it, and yes I definitely would.   I can't say it's been easy. Marriage is hard.  Not hard in the way that I thought it would be.  The hardness creeps up on you, almost in cycles.  There are good times, and they are so very good, and then slowly, very slowly, almost like a mist difficulties begin to seep in through the cracks.  At least for me, I don't always recognize that things are hard right away, you are living your life, in your routine and the days get longer, you're a little more tired at night, a little more irritated during the day, and suddenly you realize that the good days are gone, and the hard times are here.  But the hard times leave in the same way.  You realize that times are hard, and you put in a little more effort, a smile here, a touch there, a special dessert with some wine after dinner.  Little by little you are able to inch your way out of that hole and stand in the sunshine again. 
I can say with certainty though, the success of our marriage has everything to do with my partner. I know I don't tell him often enough, but he is a good man.  I know we women like to complain about our husbands, but I try not to.  Because really, what do I have to complain about, he's a good father, a thoughtful husband, ambitious but not at the expense of his family, a careful planner, and a great travel companion.  He loves to eat what I cook and listens patiently when I ramble on about knitting.  I have found the one in whom my heart delights.  

1 comment:

Samantha said...

HAPPY {belated} ANNIVERSARY V and M!!!! I love that picture of y'all, and I can't believe it's been ten years!!! I really love this post and that last paragraph almost made me cry! So sweet!

xo, sam