Friday, November 02, 2012

East-West Fusion

I have recently discovered that I *love* tofu skins!  Love!  I was confused about it at first, since I'm ambivalent at best about tofu.  BUT it turns out that tofu skins are not actually tofu at all, but the (and this is going to sound somewhat gross) film that forms on soy milk when it is heated (like the skin on milk) it's taken off and dried--or something. 




I discovered at the market here I can buy fresh tofu skins to cook at home!  The problem being that I don't really know how to make the restaurant version, and I'm not sure I'd want to if I could (just too greasy for every day eating).  So I embarked upon a way to cook them using tastes that I'm more familiar with. I started by braising them in a little chicken broth. Mostly to heat them up and add a little flavor. 
Then I roasted a few veggies. 



I added the veggies, and some tomato sauce to the tofu skins....
It's sort of like a pasta dish, the tofu skins have a similar texture to al dente pasta, maybe a little chewier.  We are probably eating WAY too many tofu skins by doing this but it's a filling way for us to do a vegetarian dinner without a whole lot of fuss.  (you can apparently make your own tofu skins, but I'm not there..... yet)

2 comments:

Chelsea said...

Hi! We're up in Shenyang with the Foreign Service, and we ate these for dinner tonight AND last night. How random is that? I love them!
Last night we went out for hotpot, and these are some of the best things to eat in hotpot. Then tonight our Ayi made a dish that's basically a salad of these tofu skins, bell peppers, carrots, cucumbers, and cilantro all shredded (with some chopped garlic and green onions as well), then with a sauce of sesame paste (1/4 cup), peanut butter (optional... 1/4 cup), soy sauce (a few Tbsp), salt, sugar, and sesame oil. It is AMAZING.

Unknown said...

That sounds really good. I'm going to have to try it!