Monday, October 29, 2012

tea ceremony


There is a lot of tea in China.  As far as I can tell people drink tea all day every day, almost wherever they are.  And as I am discovering there are many many different kinds of tea in China.  Ever heard the saying "I would/wouldn't do/not do that for all the tea in China"  Well that's a lot of tea.  In Chengdu I started drinking tea almost every day to combat the effects of the perpetual gloom that hung over the city.  I think the gloom hurt my eyes and gave me an eyestrain headache, as well as dampening my mood with the whole Seasonal Affective Disorder (which I thought was made up until we went to Chengdu), so I had a cup of tea almost every day.  Which got me thinking, I'm in Chengdu the city of tea drinking, I should learn more about Chinese tea.... Well, that didn't happen.
However, I finally attended a Chinese tea ceremony (it's sort of an elaborate demonstration that they will do at most tea shops) with a lady who knows TONS about Chinese tea.  I still don't know that much about the teas here, but I'm learning a little bit all the time... 



No comments: