Monday, January 21, 2013

Meatballs

Sorry to say the air is still looking thick.

 So other than my usual treks to the grocery store, gym, and bus stop to pick up the kid, I have not been outside.
But I did get myself together this week to make meatballs for the freezer (I'm starting to stock up for Chinese New Year when everything will be closed, and the streets deserted).  I can't believe I have not shared the freezer meatballs before this.  If you've got about an hour (every time I make them the time gets shorter and shorter) or an extra pair of hands, these are great to have in the freezer for last minute meals.
I have spared you the shots of the pre-balled meat, it just looks gross.  I usually mix the ingredients together in a huge bowl and then make meatballs using a 1/2 tablespoon measuring spoon (or a tablespoon) I make them tiny because they cook faster but you can make them as large as you want.  Then lay them on a cookie sheet, you can pack them pretty close in, so long as they are not touching. (btw- you will want to make sure that your cookie sheet fits into your freezer).





Then put the meatballs in your freezer for about an hour.  After they are frozen through, you can pop them off the cookie sheet and put them in plastic bags (to give your freezer more space).  I have also baked them before freezing so that you have pre-cooked meatballs frozen and ready to eat, use the same method for freezing.


When you are ready to use them, you can just count out as many as you want and throw them into your sauce.  I have heard you can bake them too, but I have never done that from a frozen meatball.
I also use this same method to freeze cookie dough.  Then you can have fresh baked cookies whenever you want and you don't have to eat 2 dozen.

If you get a chance please say a little prayer for our Honeydog today, she is leaving the safety of my parents' house to travel to China (by herself!!!) to be with us.  This is her first time traveling under the new United rules as cargo without anyone going with her.

No comments: