Thursday, January 10, 2008

I am Wuss

I am Wuss! No, not Will Smith, or even his character in the movie, but me. For some reason (and hopefully it's temporary) ever since Zora was born my overactive imagination has gone back to the days where it won't let me sleep if I watch a scary movie. Case in point. I am Legend. Not that scary, but I stayed up the ENTIRE night after I watched it. I think it's mostly my own fault. I gave my brain time to process the movie before going to bed, so that once I got to bed all those gaps left in the narration were filled in by my imagination. What happens in between the time that New York is quarantined and the movie begins, well I can tell you, and it's not pretty. Before this didn't bother me so much. I figured I could kick butt with the best of them, and if not I'd die and go to Heaven, but now.... NOW I have a daughter so my remaining night time thoughts dwelt upon would I rather have her infected and watch her die, or have myself get infected, die, then leave her all alone, or have both of us un-infected but then have to fight like mad to protect us both, or maybe both of us die in a fiery crash.
But really, ever since I read the Stand (you gotta love Stephen King) I have worried about a global-civilization-ending pandemic. Would you want to be on the surviving side? I mean yes, to die is a horrible thing. To die young is even worse, but it's got to be difficult being a survivor. Every time I think about it I end up thinking about the scene from The Stand where the main character is trying to get out of Manhattan and has to take the tunnel, in the dark, with cars full of bodies.... How creepy is that? What would it be like to live in a world made up of mostly ghosts? Where everyone you know has died... where you might have even watched everyone you know die? How do you keep going?
I pray that I never have to find out.