Sunday, January 20, 2008

Penguins

When we first decided to come to South Africa one of the ways that my hubby sold me on the trip was talk about swimming with the Penguins. In Cape Town there is a pretty extensive penguin preserve where you can get pretty close to the nesting grounds of the local penguins. I went thinking that you might see a penguin or two here and there, but no, it is in all actuality, a penguin nesting ground. There were penguins everywhere! Then we went down onto the beach where the penguins also swim around and you could walk around with the Penguins. The kids we were with were playing around in the water and a penguin swam right by them. Then, as I was sitting on the beach a penguin popped right by us so to get to his nest.
It is actually kinda cool to be able to commune with local wildlife like that. I always thought penguins were kinda mean, but no, they kept to themselves, and didn't really bother any of the people.